(Text: Alfred Jensen - Music: Richard Burgess)
Seaman and local historian Alfred Jensen (1873-1961) wrote this poem in memory of Ring’s Shipyard in Fredrikstad which, in the last decades of the age of sail, was a centre for repairing the hulls of wooden sailing ships. Fredrikstad in south-eastern Norway was ideally placed at the mouth of a river (Glomma) with very little tidal variation, so ships could simply be keelhauled and re-caulked while still afloat. The huge upright stones used for keelhauling are still visible. Richard has put Jensen’s poem to music.